Facebook Deletes Trump Post For Harmful COVID-19 Misinformation
Facebook Deletes Trump Post – Donald Trump finally found a bridge Facebook is unwilling to allow him to cross, promoting misinformation about the coronavirus. The company removed a post from Donald Trump’s account on Wednesday after the president shared a clip from a Fox News interview in which he said that children are ‘almost immune’ to coronavirus.
“This video includes false claims that a group of people is immune from COVID-19 which is a violation of our policies around harmful COVID misinformation,” a Facebook representative said in a statement to NBC News.
This is the first time Facebook has removed one of Trump’s post under the policy. The company removed Trump campaign ads in the past for breaking its rules around ‘organized hate’ and misleading information about the US census.
Facebook has previously been slow to enforce rules when the posts come from politicians, especially Trump. The CEO of the company Mark Zuckerberg spoke against Twitter CEO for fact-checking one of Trump’s tweets, though Zuckerberg later said he would consider adding labels to some posts from politicians that might otherwise break Facebook’s rule.
The video was also shared on Twitter where it remains up. On Facebook, the video was available for a couple of hours and was viewed hundreds of thousands of times before it was taken down.
Twitter also took action on the clip for breaking the company’s rules against COVID-19 misinformation. A spokesperson said Twitter required permission from the account that originally shared the video.