What is Amazon – Did You Know That Amazon Would Have Been Called “Cadabra”
What is Amazon – Amazon is an online trading platform which deals with electronics, food, software, apparel, video games, toys, furniture, and jewelry. This expanded platform started as an online marketplace for books but later expanded to the sales of the above-mentioned items.
This online marketing platform was found by Jeff Bezos on the 5th of July 1994 in Bellevue, amazon has been mentioned to be the second-largest technology company by revenue. Amazon launched her first Amazon Web Services (AWS) in 2006 to provide online web services for client-side applications and also for websites.
Brief History About Amazon
- Amazon was found by Jeff Bezos whose parents invested $250,000 for the start-up of this investment in the year 1994.
- In the garage of Bezos rented home in Bellevue, Amazon was found.
- Amazon introduced itself to the public by reaching over 180,000 customer accounts by December 1996 and then it later climbed to over 1,000,000 customer accounts in October 1997.
- Its revenue jumped from $15.7 million in 1996 to increased revenue of $148 million in the year 1997, followed by a larger revenue of $610 million in 1998.
Where is Amazon Located
Amazon is located in Seattle, Washington, United States.
Some Facts About Amazon
Amazon is believed to be one of the largest and fastest-growing technology companies in the world, it is also considered one amongst the Big Four technology companies along with Apple, Facebook and Google.
Here are some facts you should consider concerning amazon;
- As of in the year 2018 amazon had an estimated employee of over 647,500.
- Still in the same year of 2018 amazon was believed to have an operating income of about US $12.421 billion.
- In the year 2018 amazon was recorded to have a revenue of about US $232.887 billion.
- Amazon was also concluded to have a Net income of US $10.073 billion in the year 2018.
Why is it Called Amazon
It was almost called “Cadabra” as in “abracadabra” but it was re-conceptualized by the founder Jeff Bezos after his lawyer mistakenly heard the word as “cadaver” so the business was reportedly named after the river Amazon for two reasons by the founder Jeff Bezos.
Amazon is said to be one of the world largest prominent cloud services provider and online retailer, Amazon is also believed to be guided by four vital principles which hold its business ground.